The primary options for the display setting of any given piece of campaign content are:
- Show in Placeholder
(Content Placeholders are locations on your site in which Personyze can embed content. These Placements must be set by you or your account manager, but once a Placement is set, it is saved on your account forever, and you can insert new content of various kinds into it, such as banners, recommendations, and forms.)
- Show as a Popup (floating div)
- Show as Top Bar (pushes page content down)
- Show as Bottom Bar (pushes page content up)
Setting Content to be Shown in a Placeholder
Placeholders are how you “embed” content into your page, making it an integrated part of your pages, rather than a div floating over it (popup).
How to set a new placeholder:
- Select “Show in placeholder” in the action placement settings
- Click “Create new placeholder” in the Content Placements section (or you can add from Account General Settings > Placeholder)
- Personyze Content Placements are based on HTML selectors; by choosing an HTML selector on the page that points to a specific location, Personyze can use it later on to insert personalized content.
- Select Find On Pages to use the Personyze simulator interface to visually select. In some cases, the simulator may not work on that page, in which case you can insert the name of the selector manually. Read about how to determine the selector of a particular page element here.
Be aware that the way Personyze grabs values is based on HTML/CSS selectors. In most cases, Personyze will automatically choose the right selector, and manually choosing the selector will be unnecessary; for example, if you click the page title, the selector will almost certainly be “H1.”
Advanced: Use the option to apply CSS style when the Content Placement is used, or when it is not in use. This feature will allow you to set global style whenever the container is in use, or when it is not.
NOTE: In some cases, your site generates a selector with a unique dynamic ID, that is changing from one visitor to another; in that case, when Personyze goes to insert content into the Placement you select, it will not work, because no such selector exists for anyone else, besides the current user. To solve this issue, please use the “select parents” option, to choose a better selector, which may look more generic (e.g. div-cart, instead of div-cart-SS4443).
How to Enter the Selector Manually
You can find the selector using your web browser console. To do this, right-click on any element, and then click “Inspect Element,” which should open the browser console, and visually show you the element selected. Then, right mouse click inside the console where it shows you the selected element, and this should open a menu with one of the options being to copy the “Selector Path”.
If this does not work on your browser, try reading about how to determine the selector here.
Placements are places (divs or page elements) on the site where Personyze can embed content, like banners, recommendations, and messages. This is how you embed content directly onto your site pages (rather than display as a floating div/popup).
Setting a Popup
When you select to show the content as a popup, you will be given options. For instance, if you selected popup, additional settings will consist of choosing the popup’s animation, its orientation on the page, and how it is triggered.
Personyze also has the capability of creating a popup that can be minimized/maximized, by selecting the Minimizeable popup or popup trigger option from the display menu.
Content Limitations and Advanced Settings
All content also has the option of limiting how often it displays, primarily to avoid annoying visitors. For instance, you may want to only show a popup every few sessions, once it has been viewed, clicked, or closed.